Raid 1: 11th August 1940



Air Raid Damage

11th August 1940 (22.21 hours.)

Warnings received around this time were –

No. 88 – 19.11 hours Yellow to 19.32 hours, White. (no purple or red).

No. 89 – 22.30 hours Red to 22.47 White. (no yellow or purple).

No. 90 – 00.00 hours yell to 02.49 hrs White. (no purple or red).

Areas affected – Fishergate Ward, F.1. And 2 Post areas (Cemetery).Acomb Ward. A.3. – Wetherby Road.

At approximately 22.12 hours a bomb fell in the York Cemetery (Park Section) on soft ground adjacent to a tarmac path and 10 yards from the nearest of the graves. A crater approximately 12 feet wide and 6 feet deep was made and much superficial damage done to surrounding house property. A further bomb fell in the Kensall Rise area and a crater was located by the Police and several bomb fragments recovered. Superficial damage was again caused to house property. Two slight casualties were reported from this incident who were injured by flying glass. The bomb is estimated at approximately 112 lbs.

A third bomb was later located in the River Foss between Cliffords Tower and Picadilly, and had apparently not exploded, No damage was reported.

At 22.15 hours a bomb fell in a field between Wetherby Road and Grange Lane, Acomb. Damage was caused to windows, doors and slates of surrounding house property and a small piece of shrapnel fell through the roof of No. 14 Felbrook Ave. No casualties were reported.



Air Raid Damage

Air Raid Warning No. 89 – 11th August, 1940.

The following Air Raid Warnings were received –

Red .. .. .. .. .. 22.30 hours.

White .. .. .. .. 22.47 hours.

A short time before the “Red” Warning was received two bombs were dropped, each falling on soft earth and causing a crater approximately 12ft. In diameter and 6ft. deep.

The second bomb fell in Chapel Field, Acomb, and the only damage reported is that a fragment of the casing penetrated the roof of Fellbrook Ave., about a quarter of a mile from where the bomb fell. it is known that a few panes of glass in the area have been broken.

The first bomb fell inside York Cemetery and caused some damage to the Cemetery Grounds, tomb stones, etc… The principal damage was caused in Cemetery Road, where about 80 housed have been damaged in varying degrees from purely superficial damage to quite extensive damage to roofs, window frames, doors, celings and walls.

The damaged property was divided as follows –

Extensive damage to roofs, etc.

(require stripping and reslating.) 24 houses.

Minor roof, repairs. 45 houses.

Damage to glass. 153 houses.

These are the figures at the time this report was made, and they are liable to variation as further reports are received.

There was one serious casualty admintted to hospital, two minor cases treated as out patients, and a few people treated on the spot by a Doctor.

Damage also occurred on Edgeware Road, Heslington Road, and roads in the vicinity, and the water service was damaged in Kensal Rise.

At 23.15 hours a report on similar lines to that above was submitted to the Regional Offices.

Before the Public Warning was received it was known in the Control Centre that bombs had been dropped and the Depots were instructed to stand by for action.

In view of the lack of telephone information and the absence of reports, a Motor Cycle Dispatch Rider was instructed to make a reconnaissance of the area believed to be affected, but unfortunately he had an accident with a vehicle that had been left on the highway with lights extinguished and was put out of action.

A second Dispatch Rider was instructed to to the work and came back at 23.20 hours with full information as to what had happened.

The Estates Manager was informed at 23.25 hours that damage had been done and he immediately came to the Guildhall and from there proceeded to the scene of damage with the Controller, A.R.P. Officer and City Engineer. It was impossible to deal with the houses during the hours of darkness and at 06.00 hours on the 12th inst. the Estates Department workmen commenced first aid repairs.

Many people in the damaged houses were interviewed soon after the bomb had dropped, by the A.R.P. Officer, and it was noticable that the morale of the people was of a very high standard. There was no kind of panic.

At 06.00 hours the next morning the Police took steps to exclude sightseers from the area and this was welcomed by the people who had been affected by the raid.

An Unexploded Bomb was reported to have fallen into the River Foss at a point about 100 yards north of Castle Mills Bridge. The police informed the Military and it was reported to Regional Office, Leeds, at 11.47 on the 12th instant. Public buildings in the vicinity were closed and Managers of private buildings were informed.

At 11.25 Tuesday, 13th inst. Captain Stanson, Chief Engineer, Royal Engineers, reported that the bomb was estimated to be sunk about 30 feet in the river bed and was not a danger.

Picture from the York City Archives

Air Raid Damage in York Cemetery

Air Raid Damage in York Cemetery

Map showing bomb locations:

Subscribe in a reader


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: